conflict when upgrading to Redhat Enterprise 5.4

__co__

Verified User
Hello,

I tried to upgrade my Redhat Enterprise 5.3 system to 5.4 today using yum, but I got the following error:

Transaction Check Error:
file /etc/aliases from install of setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch conflicts with file from package da_exim-4.69-1.x86_64

Apparantly, the setup package conflicts on the /etc/aliases file with the DA Exim installation. I just could skip the package, but I'd rather upgrade all packages in the release.

Any suggestions?

Since everyone's aliases file is going to be different from the upgrade, this shouldn't stop any install. Which package is giving you this error? You shouldn't be installing or updating another MTA.

If you're using a RedHat Distribution then you should have at least minimum Red Hat support. Can't you ask them?

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. No I'm not installing another MTA, the package "setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch" from the 5.4 release has the conflict with the installed aliases file from the Exim installation.

There are no aliases configured in the file (only commented lines) so if it gets overwritten that shouldn't be a problem. I could get the RPM from one of Redhat's FTP mirrors and install the package manually using a -f flag (force).

We've got a support contract with Redhat and I could contact them, but I expect that they'll respond that the problem lies with the installed Exim package from DA. So that would bring me back here. I just wondered that someone already had the same problem and has the best solution.

That doesn't solve the problem since yum checks the filelist of the installed package, not the actual files on the disk. Removing the file will still result in the same error.

I think I have to contact Redhat about this since I'm unable to download the package otherwise than from the Redhat Network using yum.

Problem solved.

Redhat Network offers the ability to manually download packages besides the yum repositories. I downloaded the specific package after which I could manually upgrade it using a --force flag.

All uptodate again ;)

You can also use yumdownloader to download the package from the repository and then rpm --force.

Had this same error on my Centos system today. Followed the suggestion above and did a rpm -Uvh --force /var/cache/yum/base/packages/setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm and after that the yum update worked fine.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had the same problem on my Centos system.
After running:
Code:
rpm -Uvh --force /var/cache/yum/base/packages/setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm
..the update went perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had the same problem on my Centos system.
After running:
Code:
rpm -Uvh --force /var/cache/yum/base/packages/setup-2.5.58-7.el5.noarch.rpm
..the update went perfect.

Thanx for this ... much easier than previous work-arounds for CentOS 5

:cool:

Back